My tusheez

This blog was started once upon a time when a young girl at school didnt know better but thought otherwise. So the way earlier entries can be crass and words inappropriate so please don't judge. As now the person has evolved into someone older and wiser (hopefully) ..:.... But some of the entries were classic and hilarious so I don't have the heart to delete them :@ Well we were all young (read:wild) once, right?

Sunday, December 07, 2008

$150 will solve my identity crisis

I may have mentioned this story before.

My name is Marcelly Suhali. It really is. with two L.
I have been born with it and have grown up and into an adult with it.

2 yrs ago, I got my blue Singapore IC.

They wrote : Marcely Suhali.

I comprain!!!
I was upset of losing an L. It's like Raymond becoming Ramon, like Barry becoming Bary.

It was life- threateningly upsetting... trust me.. if you lose an alphabet in your first name, will you be very happy?? So, I went on an adventure to find my lost L.

Apparently, silly, cock-eyed, government clarks in Indonesia couldn't type people's names very well. So, they missed out an L and my passport said Marcely. I realised it's not possible to convince ICA to change my name unless I change the one in the passport first. And the only way to change the spelling in the passport is to prove it with my birth certificate...
I'll show em'!!

So, I took my lawful birth certificate and checked...

It said:

Marcely Suhali.


DARN IT!!!


Sigh... I've been statutorily conned all my life.

So that was 2 yrs ago.. I still managed to limbo between Marcelly and Marcely on my different credit cards, emails and name card. Basically, a serious identity crisis.

Recently, I renounced my Indonesian citizenship, gained my Singapore citizenship, and went to the lawyers to get the documents done.

The clark asked : " You wanna change your name??? We can do a Deed Poll for you, $150 only.."

Me: " Change my name ah??? To what?"

She: " Anything you want lah.. You want put middle name, Chinese name, maiden name.. anything..all same $150.."

Me: "Ermm" I thought of my lost 'L'...so I had an idea.." How about just add an L"

She: " Huh?? Just add an 'L'.. Aiyoh.. are you sure just add an L? you can put any extra name one, Christian name, middle name...??"

Me: "Waitt ahh... I call mom.."

Me: "Mommiiii! I gonna do deed poll.. Add one L for $150. What do you think ah?"

Mom: " Do lah.. you always complained you lost one L"

Me: " Hmm.... $150 for just one L lor.."

Mom: " Why? You think bo hoa is it??? Then add 3 Ls lor!! Cheaper for each L"

Me: "Heh Heh.... Dont want.. ok mommiii.. thank you.."

(ps: bo hoa - not worth the $) So I got mine done... Now I am legally Marcelly Suhali!!! YAY!


I think the $150 is worth every penny. I got my identity back.

The only other sad thing nowadays, is whenever authorities look at my deed poll,
as I told them I've change my name, ...

More often than not, while looking at the deed poll intently, this is what they say, with a sincerely confused face:

"What's the diff ah?.."

Bbrrrr....


Say hi to Marcelly!!

6 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous gently snorted that...

congrats for ur name and being a singaporean :) Have u collected ur ic:) with 2ls?

 
At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous gently snorted that...

that must be the most expensive L in the world.

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Kon Yew gently snorted that...

Dear MarceLLy,
congrats on resolving your identity crisis! have you thought about how you would settle the next one? Mrs Gan or Mdm Suhali? i think they both come free-of-charge.

 
At 5:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous gently snorted that...

oi which law firm u went to? Only need $50-$100

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Marcelly gently snorted that...

alamakk... i got cheated then! i went to the china town one! @#$%^*!!

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Marcelly gently snorted that...

my Ic is gonna take 5 months!!!
=(( now i hv a piece of paper only..

teikwynn: lolx... howdy??

dr kiloyankee!- ya!! we thought a bout it.. it's gonna be mrs suhali-gan!

hehehe f.o.c too i believe,.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home